Written By: Obi Obadike, CIO of Bloomble, Celebrity Fitness & Nutrition Expert, CFT, SFN, M.S. Founder & CEO – Ethical Inc
What Are The Symptoms Of Magnesium Deficiency?
What are the symptoms of magnesium deficiency? If you are experiencing muscle twitches, tremors or muscle cramps that is a sign of magnesium deficiency. Research studies show that about 2 to 15% of Americans experience magnesium deficiency. It is important that stress or high caffeine consumption can cause involuntary muscle spasms.
If you have magnesium, it can heighten your risk for osteoporosis, Osteoporosis affects many women after the age of 50 approaching menopause. This deficiency lowers bone density and weakens the bones. Some of the other factors that influence developing osteoporosis is aging, Vitamin D and K deficiencies.
Muscle weakness and fatigue are also a symptom of magnesium deficiency. Low potassium levels in muscle cells affect fatigue and weakness. There have been some research studies that have shown that low magnesium levels can lead to low blood pressure.
Symptoms of low magnesium have also revealed symptoms of stress, anxiety, depression, etc.
An irregular heartbeat or heart arrhythmia is a symptom of magnesium deficiency.
According to the National Institutes Of Health the RDA recommends the following in terms of consumption of magnesium:
Birth to 6 months- Male- 30 mg, Female- 30 mg
7 to 12 months- Male-75 mg, Female- 75 mg
1 to 3 years- Male- 80 mg, Female- 80 mg
4 to 8 years-Male- 130 mg, Female- 130 mg
9 to 13 years- Male- 240 mg, Female- 240 mg
14 to 18 years- Male- 410 mg, Female- 360 mg
19 to 30 years- Male- 400 mg, Female- 310 mg
31 to 50 years- Male- 420 mg, Female- 320 mg
Over 5 years- Male- 420 mg, Female- 320 mg
Statistically speaking most people don’t get enough magnesium in their diet so that is why it is important to try to get most of it from foods rather than supplements. Some of the foods where you obtain your magnesium from are nuts, whole grains, beans, leafy green vegetables, etc.
The Bottom Line is some of the symptoms of magnesium deficiency are fatigue, muscle weakness, irregular heartbeat, osteoporosis, etc.
- Negru AG, Pastorcici A, Crisan S, Cismaru G, Popescu FG, Luca CT. The Role of Hypomagnesemia in Cardiac Arrhythmias: A Clinical Perspective. Biomedicines. 2022 Sep 21;10(10):2356. doi: 10.3390/biomedicines10102356. PMID: 36289616; PMCID: PMC9598104.
- Shaikh MN, Malapati BR, Gokani R, Patel B, Chatriwala M. Serum Magnesium and Vitamin D Levels as Indicators of Asthma Severity. Pulm Med. 2016;2016:1643717. doi: 10.1155/2016/1643717. Epub 2016 Oct 12. PMID: 27818797; PMCID: PMC5080508.
- Zhang X, Li Y, Del Gobbo LC, Rosanoff A, Wang J, Zhang W, Song Y. Effects of Magnesium Supplementation on Blood Pressure: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Trials. Hypertension. 2016 Aug;68(2):324-33. doi: 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.116.07664. Epub 2016 Jul 11. PMID: 27402922.
- Rondanelli M, Faliva MA, Tartara A, Gasparri C, Perna S, Infantino V, Riva A, Petrangolini G, Peroni G. An update on magnesium and bone health. Biometals. 2021 Aug;34(4):715-736. doi: 10.1007/s10534-021-00305-0. Epub 2021 May 6. PMID: 33959846; PMCID: PMC8313472.
- Pickering G, Mazur A, Trousselard M, Bienkowski P, Yaltsewa N, Amessou M, Noah L, Pouteau E. Magnesium Status and Stress: The Vicious Circle Concept Revisited. Nutrients. 2020 Nov 28;12(12):3672. doi: 10.3390/nu12123672. PMID: 33260549; PMCID: PMC7761127.
- Gragossian A, Bashir K, Bhutta BS, et al. Hypomagnesemia. [Updated 2022 Nov 4]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2023 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK500003/